Sunday, February 17, 2008

Counting down...


A week from tomorrow, los padres and I head down to Miami to hit some clubs and hang out with Will Smith. Can you believe it?!?
Actually, we're going to Miami because that's where my flight to Santiago leaves from bright 'n early the next morning (call time inside the airport: 4 a.m.). After all these months of applying and waiting and filling out paperwork and getting shots and waiting some more...it's finally time to actually put things in suitcases and get ready to go! The flight will be long and the nightmares on the eve of departure will be scary (kidding) but I am so excited to finally get the semester started. After a few days of orientation, I'll move in with my host family and start seven weeks of classes at the SIT building. Then I'll have an excursion in either Temuco or Aymara and then the time (a month, I believe) to do my independent research project.
I should be able to update this blog fairly regularly and I hope that I can also use it to keep in touch with people studying in other countries/programs, at Occidental, and at home.
If there's one thing I love more than words, it's photos (maybe's it's a tie) and I definitely want to share many photos on this blog as well. To start, here's a photo from my recent trip to Washington, D.C. (funded by an Anderson Grant from Oxy) during which I had the fantastic opportunity to interview Ambassador Mariano Fernandez from Chile:


Hasta luego!

4 comments:

Phoebe said...

you are going to have a fantastic time!!

Caroline said...

I am so proud of you! Can't wait to hear crazy Elizabeth stories! Just please don't go too nuts in Miami with the rents... You need to arrive in Chile fresh, not exhausted from dancing on the tables.
xoxo

Caroline said...

Yay!!! I'm so excited to check your blog! I will be an avid reader!

Caroline B :)

PS Anderson Grant?? nice! I had no idea!

Rachel Stoler said...

I disagree with Caroline...please, by all means, go nuts in Miami with the rents, that way when you report back to them your crazy Chilean stories, they won't be shocked at all since they'll have already watched you pole-dancing in a bikini at a trashy bar.

So excited to keep up on your adventures! love love.